Wow! When the niche publishers at our conferences share ideas, the sky’s the limit when it comes to creating new ways to monetize niche magazine content. Don’t believe us? Check out some of the great ideas shared at the last Niche Digital Conference:
1. Spread out your content! Don’t publish all of your magazine’s content online at the beginning of the month. Use the date stamping tools of your content management system to load your content all at once, but publish it piece by piece over a period of time.
2. Segment digital content by audience. One extended education or training piece can be broken down into different segments based on the audience. With one 60-minute lecture, you can sell an e-book, DVD, 12 “5-minute tips,” etc.
3. Create e-books from magazine content. You have years of content, so put it to good use. Create e-books around a specific topic.
4. Add a product pavilion. Provide an interactive directory to your website for new products and services. Easy navigation & a simple look is key. Create a competitive environment by placing marquee ads in the pavilion and then use that to sell to their competitors.
5. Create category-specific custom editorial content. Custom products such as sponsored monthly articles about an advertiser’s area of expertise: health & fitness, automotive, sports & recreation, financial security, travel, etc.
6. Create special sections. Package print and web together in ad programs to target niche markets within your niche. For instance, a resort destination magazine might create a package for marketing property management companies.
7. Compilations! Compile related archived content into a sponsored and/or paid eBook, video or special issue.
8. Make a photo CD particular to your industry from back issues. Make them royalty-free with unlimited use. Sell the photo CD in your e-newsletter.
9. Boost digital magazine readership with a special 3D edition. Send out 3D glasses with a special URL to the issue. (You can even get the glasses paid for by an exclusive sponsor.)
10. Podcasts: Arm your editorial staff with audio recorders. Every interview can also be a $.99 iTunes download.
What ways are you monetizing your mag’s content? Share your success stories with us!
Niche Media has created super niched-out events specifically for magazine publishers for over 12 years. Next up? The Niche Digital Conference in Denver, Sept. 19-21. We’ve helped pave the way for the era of boutique events that connect specific audiences and provide great educational, friendly and super-fun environments! Plus, Carl Landau – Niche Media’s Grand Poobah – is launching the all new Super Niche Event, March 27-29, 2017. Check it out!
Image from freedigitalphotos.net