Happy 2013, Niche Magazine Publishers!
Maybe it’s the prospect of knuckling down to work after the excess of the holidays, but Wanda, our amazing pug, has taught me some valuable lessons about getting inspired in 2013:
- Be fully engaged in the present. When Wanda is about to get fed, she barks likes crazy and watches every single human movement with laser focus until that bowl is put down for her. When you are working your editorial calendar and setting sales goals for your niche magazine, give it your full attention. Put aside any other pressing concerns even though there are many in 1Q. Forget about multitasking–it means tasks that you away from your present top focus.
- Set your goals and then prioritize them. Wanda’s top goals are very clear: chowing down, napping and going for walks. Baths and chasing cats are way further down the list. Don’t just set the top 2013 goals for your niche magazine, prioritize them. Understand which goals will affect your ROI and your time in the most profitable way.
- Wag it. This little pug does not do anything half-way. When someone walks in, she is literally all over them and will instantly adopt a lap in record time. Use that same level of enthusiasm when you answer the phone, talk to and email your co-workers, customers and advertisers. Even in the cold stare of the first weeks of January, your genuine, enthusiastic effort will warm people to you. Wanda fully embraces this concept and will always, always let you know she is happy to see you.
- Be loyal. She may jump over my dead body to get to a treat, but Wanda will never, ever abandon her best friend and pooch to cuddle with—Cosmo. (Especially when it’s very cold and she is also going after the top-level goal of napping, this is a Win-Win situation for Wanda.) Take the time right now to thank your best customers and advertisers sincerely. Tell them you appreciate their loyalty and why. Reach out right now without all the holiday fluff behind you to truly appreciate the commitment of those who matter.
- Be consistent. Wanda knows that the best place to be right now is in front of a warm fire. Period. Have the wisdom to know what integrated media plan works best for your niche magazine and stick to it.
- Always be open. As a highly opportunistic pug, Wanda never misses a chance to inhale anything that might fall to the floor. Never. Be at the ready and open to new opportunities in 2013 that may benefit your magazine in ways you haven’t anticipated. Are there new revenue streams you keep thinking about but have not taken action on? Now’s the time to jump on it.
No bones about it, these lessons from Wanda may seem like common sense. But she works her plan daily and gets the results she wants. I am going to let her be an inspiration in my planning process in 2013. The Niche Magazine Conference is my favorite source for publishing inspiration. Tell us where you find your inspiration in 2013 in the comments or on Facebook or Twitter.
Niche Media has created super niched-out events specifically for magazine publishers for over 12 years. We’ve helped pave the way for the era of boutique events that connect specific audiences and provide great educational, friendly and super-fun environments!