As a niche magazine ad sales person, we are willing to bet you sometimes face the challenge of not having huge traffic numbers to tout about your publication’s website. It happens.
But don’t despair.
Here are 5 quick tips to help you sell advertising when your website traffic stats are not so compelling:
- Bone up. First, fully analyze your magazine’s website analytics so you understand exactly what they mean. Ask for help if you need it. Remind your advertisers that even if your website attracts only 200 eyeballs instead of 20,000, it’s the quality of the audience and conversion rates that matter.
- Be a Matchmaker. You know your readers. Make sure you go after the best possible match in terms of advertisers with a product or service your audience wants. This will serve you well for creating long-term relationships that are the right fit.
- Study their social media. Read what people are saying on your advertisers’ Facebook and other social media. Find some popular themes and create a campaign that speaks to that. (Plus, advertisers love it when they can see you’ve done your homework.)
- Survey your happy campers. It’s easy to survey your traffic visitors and find out what they like best about your website. It’s hard to be objective when it’s your own website. Learn about their user experience and share that information with your advertisers.
- Look for success stories. Check out other niche websites with low traffic and tons of advertising. Talk to them and learn what they are doing that works. (Or you can attend the Niche Digital Conference in Minneapolis in about a week and have tons of peers to talk with all at once, there’s a few spots left.)
So don’t avoid talking to your advertisers about your website’s traffic. Understand it, embrace it and show them how less can be more!!
About this blogger: Diana Landau is the Content Wrangler for Niche Media. A former sales director and corporate marketing hack, she has now found nirvana in writing and wrangling quality content. Diana is a food, wine, art and SF Giants enthusiast……who sometimes gets carried away.
Niche Media has created super niched-out events specifically for magazine publishers for over 12 years. We’ve helped pave the way for the era of boutique events that connect specific audiences and provide great educational, friendly and super-fun environments! Plus, Carl Landau – Niche Media’s Grand Poobah – just launched a blog all about creating and marketing targeted events – blog.NicheEventNation.com Check it out!
Image from freedigitalphotos.net