Happy New Year! Time to get back at it…….
So there’s lots of blather-buzz lately about giant media companies using Big Data and “the media-buying capabilities of the DPM” and Programmatics. Competing, dizzying definitions make it all even more confusing.
What do you need to know about all that as a niche magazine ad salesperson?
You need to know that when you get right down to it, the key is to gather really good insight from your customer data and share that information with your advertisers so they can make better buying decisions.
Here are 5 quick tips to get you going:
- Old school: What tools/dashboards/software do you have access to now? Ask for more training. You can ALWAYS learn some new ways to use the current analytic tools you have and interpret the data.
- New tools: Does your digital toolbox need something new? Do some research, talk to colleagues, and find out what’s working best for salespeople out there right now. There may be an add-on out there that will turbo-boost your data presentation. (Then you will have to convince your management it’s worth it.)
- Segmentation: Analyze how you currently segment your customers and determine if you can create some new or better micro-segments. The more you can drill down, the more you will understand your audience. Who knows? Your new micro-segments may bring you some new advertisers not currently in the mix.
- Social Media: Sure, you can cull some great stats from social media. It’s far more important to chart the engagement path of your audience. You may find that ultimately, LinkedIn brings you more solid customers than Facebook, for example.
- Trends: Look not only for the big hits but the sore losers. Adjust your strategy if necessary.
Finally, give your advertisers an insightful retrospective of your 2014 data. Talk about what worked and why and also what didn’t work and what you think will work better. Your advertiser will appreciate your proactive approach. Sell from a position of strength AND be data-driven.
Here’s to an even more successful 2015!
P.S. Here’s a previous post from sales expert Nancy O’Brien on how to conduct surveys to gain even more insight: Just the Facts, Ma’am – Better Magazine Ad Sales Research with Surveys
About this blogger: Diana Landau is the Content Wrangler for Niche Media. A former sales director and corporate marketing hack, she has now found nirvana in writing and wrangling quality content. Diana is a food, wine, art and SF Giants enthusiast……who sometimes gets carried away.
Niche Media has created super niched-out events specifically for magazine publishers for over 12 years. We’ve helped pave the way for the era of boutique events that connect specific audiences and provide great educational, friendly and super-fun environments! Plus, Carl Landau – Niche Media’s Grand Poobah -also created a blog all about creating and marketing targeted events – blog.NicheEventNation.com Check it out!