I can’t believe we’re down to just a hand full of days left in 2013! This time of the year is slooowww in the ad sales and publishing games. You’re hard pressed to find clients that are around to chat up. And no one really is in the mood to hear the latest ad sales ideas, about your new event, or whatever new ideas you have. But don’t let this slow time of the year get away without getting ready for a bright 2014. A little prep now will lay the groundwork for an amazing year!
1. Write a super short email to every client thanking your clients for their business. Just one “standard biz” sentence along with one sentence that is personalized, for each account. A little heartfelt thank you can go a long way with building your relationship with clients.
2. Clean up your ad sales database. You’re so busy every week. Why not take a day and really get rid of the “dead” accounts and add some of those new prospects you’ve been meaning to include for the past few months.
3. Clean house. It’s been a crazy year – take some time for cleaning up your computer desktop AND your actual physical desk that I’m sure are both a total mess at this point. An organized desk helps create an organized mind.
4. Thank your team: Why not buy a nice card and small gift for all the people at your magazine that help you everyday—the advertising coordinator, production/art department, maybe even the editor that you argue with every now and then? Heck it’s the holidays. Spread a little bit of cheer about for everyone.
5. Set up some personal sales and revenue goals for 2014: Really think about what you’d like to accomplish next year. Maybe it’s an additional 10% of digital advertising or some new sponsorships you want to target next year. Maybe it’s that promotion you really want. Or whatever it takes to motivate yourself to have an even better year in 2014.
I’d like to thank everyone for reading our Niche Blog. We appreciate the comments, ideas and support we receive all year long from our readers too. I’d also like to publicly thank two amazing people at Niche Media. We’ve published our blog daily—every business day, every week. I’m sure all you realize the dedication and hard work that’s involved in creating this original, niche-y content every day. Thank you so much, Content Wrangler Diana Landau and Swiss Army Knife and Editor Robyn Ireland for a great job!
Happy Niche Holidays to all!
Editor’s Note: There will not be a post on Dec. 25th-26th.
About the blogger: Carl Landau is Grand Poobah of Niche Media. He is a media/event guru, SF Giants fan and part-time blogger. His 15 minutes of fame took place in the mid-eighties when he launched his famous, “Buy an Ad, Get a Cat” ad campaign. He has long since patched things up with the SPCA.
Niche Media has created super niched-out events specifically for magazine publishers for over 12 years. We’ve helped pave the way for the era of boutique events that connect specific audiences and provide great educational, friendly and super-fun environments! Plus, Carl Landau – Niche Media’s Grand Poobah – just launched a blog all about creating and marketing targeted events – blog.NicheEventNation.com Check it out!
Image from freedigitalphotos.net