As November approaches, most advertisers have finished their 2015 planning and budgeting. The perfect time to perfect your sales game, right?
If you want to be a top performer in niche magazine ad sales, you have to avoid the easy mistakes. You know, the ones where you are on auto-pilot, doing the same thing the same way every day. Everyone gets in a rut sometimes, with that nagging feeling that you are not achieving the success you want.
Here are the top 5 ad sales mistakes to avoid:
1. Mail a media kit. Don’t do it! If your prospect has all the info, why do they need to talk to you? Always present your media kit in person and inform your customer in an easily absorbable way.
2. Go on and on about your magazine. Don’t just talk up your magazine, solve your clients’ problems–only then will they be really interested. Listen instead, learning what your customers objectives are and how you can help them achieve goals.
3. Offer discounts! Another big no-no. Make the conversation with your client about value vs price. Deals based on price reductions don’t create long-term business relationships.
4. Put off the close. Don’t wait until they consult their boss. Always, always, ask for the sale. You have something of value and you shouldn’t hesitate to try to get a commitment. Even if you get a “maybe” you can ask for referrals too.
5. Look at your phone. Turn it off!! Not just turn the volume down, where you still get a vibrating text or tweet and you look down. It’s totally distracting to you and your client. Turn that sucker off during a meeting so you can give your full attention to the discussion.
So don’t fall into the same old routine. Avoid these pitfalls and you’ll be focused and ready for 2015!
About this blogger: Diana Landau is the Content Wrangler for Niche Media. A former sales director and corporate marketing hack, she has now found nirvana in writing and wrangling quality content. Diana is a food, wine, art and SF Giants enthusiast……who sometimes gets carried away.
Niche Media has created super niched-out events specifically for magazine publishers for over 12 years. We’ve helped pave the way for the era of boutique events that connect specific audiences and provide great educational, friendly and super-fun environments! Plus, Carl Landau – Niche Media’s Grand Poobah – just launched a blog all about creating and marketing targeted events – blog.NicheEventNation.com Check it out!
Image from freedigitalphotos.net