The Association of Magazine Media (MPA) has recently introduced their new Magazine Media 360° report. It is an attempt to gauge the effectiveness of consumer magazine media, measured and communicated by its cross-platform, consumer demand.
This new measurement of “Magazine Media Vitality” better captures the consumer demand by measuring print, digital, websites, video and mobile platforms in order to gain a more holistic and accurate view of the health of a magazine.
Here’s a quick snapshot from Magazine Media 360° Report:
- There is a gross audience for consumer magazine brands of 1.514 billion in September 2014, (compared to 1.369 billion in September 2013.)
- This significant growth is largely attributable to a 90% rise in mobile web use, a doubling of video consumption and the steady performance of print/digital editions, which were up 2.1%.
- A 10.6% year-on-year increase in consumer demand for magazine media content across platforms and formats.
- Video and mobile web consumption demonstrated the biggest growth rates with print/digital editions also increasing.
- 80% of advertisers buy multiple platforms now.
What does it mean for niche publishers? 3 keys:
1) Expand and enhance your reader experience. You can do this by offering lots of opportunities for consuming your niche content in multiple platforms.
2) It is also important to view your niche magazine as a brand, so you can strengthen the connection with your audience further while increasing new readership rates too.
3) Advertisers WANT to advertise on multiple platforms and your packaging should reflect that.
Think about it— the good news is your audience wants more of you, not less!
MPA’s complete report is available at http://www.magazine.org.
About this blogger: Diana Landau is the Content Wrangler for Niche Media. A former sales director and corporate marketing hack, she has now found nirvana in writing and wrangling quality content. Diana is a food, wine, art and SF Giants enthusiast……who sometimes gets carried away.
Niche Media has created super niched-out events specifically for magazine publishers for over 12 years. We’ve helped pave the way for the era of boutique events that connect specific audiences and provide great educational, friendly and super-fun environments! Plus, Carl Landau – Niche Media’s Grand Poobah – launched a blog all about creating and marketing targeted events – blog.NicheEventNation.com Check it out!
Image from freedigitalphotos.net