2016 is the Year of the Monkey, the 9th sign of the Zodiac Chinese Lunar calendar. Why should you care, as an ad salesperson? It doesn’t hurt to find inspiration in new places, right? Plus it’s a fun reason to reach out to your ad clients. Here’s why:
First, the qualities of people born in Monkey years can easily be translated to the qualities of the super-salesperson:
- You have to always be ready, motivated, agile and anticipate your clients’ needs.
- You are confident when selling your product and can give quick-witted answers to prospects’ questions.
- You provide optimistic information to your clients and show them the possibilities by increasing revenues with your products.
- In magazine ad sales, you must be fearless—and that means managing expectations and being frank with your clients about how they define the results of your ads.
- One sorta less desirable quality is stubbornness, but this actually serves sales reps well, as you have to be very persistent to close sales!
Okay, so now you have been reminded of all the great qualities you possess to meet your sales goals. Now take it a step further and reach out to your clients and ask them if they know it’s the Year of the Monkey. Inform them about the signs of good luck in 2016:
- Lucky numbers: 4 and 9
- Lucky days: the 14th and 28th of the month
- Lucky colors: white, blue, gold
- Lucky flowers: chrysanthemum
Yes, this is all a bit of stretch and certainly not banana ad science. But it’s a unique, attention-grabbing and fun topic of conversation you can have with your clients. It might even add a new element to weave into to their social media.
And besides, who isn’t looking for a new, original touch-point with their advertisers?
About this blogger: Diana Landau is the Content Wrangler for Niche Media. A former sales director and corporate marketing hack, she has now found nirvana in writing and wrangling quality content. Diana is a food, wine, art and SF Giants enthusiast…who sometimes gets carried away.
Niche Media has created super niched-out events specifically for magazine publishers for over 12 years. We’ve helped pave the way for the era of boutique events that connect specific audiences and provide great educational, friendly and super-fun environments!
Image from freedigitaphotos.net