Today many advertisers pretty much expect publishers to be consultative on mobile ad strategy, even help with content creation. Mobile ad relevance is gaining traction as CTRS are increasing rapidly in our ever-evolving techy, smart-watch world.
A few things ring true:
GOOD: Fast mobile site and app navigation, lack of ad clutter on the screen, niche publishers who design different versions of their ads in order to be device-appropriate.
BAD: (Or just kinda irritating!) Most text message ads, pop-up “call us now” numbers, stalker geo-targeting.
What can niche publishers do to make sure they are helping their advertisers create the most effective mobile ad campaigns? Here’s some helpful tips from blogger Mark Irvine of WordStream. These strategies will help both you AND your advertisers become more effective.
1. Give your advertisers the ability to control what they pay for on mobile based on selected key words.
2. Include ad extensions. Call-to-actions are a must! In-ad sign ups reduce the clicks your users have to do–so you don’t lose them.
3. Include hastags. Never hurts to create more buzz!
4. In-app messaging can increase user retention and is surprisingly effective. Plus it shows how creative and fun you can be.
5. Think long-term about your advertising partnerships. (Andrew Davis, author of Brandscaping and a frequent Niche conference speaker, has been singing this from the hilltops for a few years now.)
Mark includes detailed how-to’s with visuals/screen shots (thank you!) for the above plus a case study and plenty of examples.
To learn more, here’s the post in detail: Mobile Ad Strategies You Need to be Using
Remember to consider how your mobile ad strategy fits with your overall, existing ad plan as well as your brand message. To be truly effective, it all has to fit together seamlessly.
About this blogger: Diana Landau is the Content Wrangler for Niche Media. A former sales director and corporate marketing hack, she has now found nirvana in writing and wrangling quality content. Diana is a food, wine, art and SF Giants enthusiast……who sometimes gets carried away.
Niche Media has created super niched-out events specifically for magazine publishers for over 12 years. We’ve helped pave the way for the era of boutique events that connect specific audiences and provide great educational, friendly and super-fun environments! Plus, Carl Landau – Niche Media’s Grand Poobah – just launched a blog all about creating and marketing targeted events – blog.NicheEventNation.com Check it out!
Image from freedigitalphotos.net