We get kinda tired of reading about the end-of-the-world proclamations about the state of magazines. Many biggies are struggling, but it’s never been a better time to be niche. And yes, there are some big hurdles to overcome as the old ad revenue models change with the soaring digital media world. All that means is that niche magazine publishers are going to have to innovate!
The question is NOT “Print or Digital or Both?” Not anymore.
It’s not relevant in 2016 to publish only print or digital or a mere combination of the two–at least not for a long-term plan. Today publishers must look at ALL the revenue streams available to them to create a profitable, sustainable niche magazine and multi-property media brand.
Focus your attention on how to better deliver high-quality niched content to your audience via multi-distribution channels. Don’t wait until a “some day” or a “rainy day” to do this. The time is now!
You and your team should be asking these 6 questions:
- Have we mastered the visual channels, such as how-to webinars, videos, vimeos and instagram? Everything you need to know from CMI to elevate your visual content strategy. Visual Content Strategy: The New ‘Black’ for Content Marketers
- Have we tested and re-tested and determined the right social media mix for our niche? Learn more with our post on Social Media Marketing Insights for 2016.
- Have we improved our native advertising program to its full potential? Insights from editor and journalist Rob O’Reagan in It’s Time to Embrace the “Brand as Publisher” Trend
- Are we maximizing our data to become more audience-centric and responsive? Here’s expert Ronda Hughes’ take on How to Better Use the Data You Already Have
- How do we create new revenue streams with events? Carl’s Quick Tips on Starting Off Right
- What other new ways are out there to expand our brand further? Check out Joe Pulizzi’s recent interview about how to Expand Your Media Brand
So elevate, innovate and expand. You will easily learn even more by networking with other small-to-medium niche magazine publishers and hearing what experts in publishing have to share. It’s a whole new media world and a very exciting time to be in niche publishing.
P.S. Real-world examples happening right now from MediaPost: New features new magazine launches
P.P.S. Don’t have tons of time? (Niche magazine publishers never do.) We have the perfect solution and you can be with all these creative, revenue-minded niche publishing brains, all in one place. Check out the 2016 Niche Media Conference in Austin in April. There’s still some time to register.
About this blogger: Diana Landau is the Content Wrangler for Niche Media. A former sales director and corporate marketing hack, she has now found nirvana in writing and wrangling quality content. Diana is a food, wine, art and SF Giants enthusiast…who sometimes gets carried away.
Niche Media has created super niched-out events specifically for magazine publishers for over 12 years. We’ve helped pave the way for the era of boutique events that connect specific audiences and provide great educational, friendly and super-fun environments! Plus, Carl Landau–Niche Media’s Grand Poobah–also created a blog all about creating and marketing targeted events: blog.NicheEventNation.com Check it out!
Image from freedigitalphotos.net