We just read a post by Susan Parente, who cites some darn good, heart-warming, super-positive stats happening now in the niche publishing industry. (Parente works for Sheridan, a company that specializes in working with publishers.)
But the numbers don’t lie.
The author gives us some very positive take-aways for you to share with your readers, your peers and your advertisers:
- MPA Factbook: Magazines are the top medium for reader engagement, spending an average of 40 minutes reading each issue.
- Ad Age: Mobile ad spending was about $9.6 billlion in 2013 and is expected to leap another $5 billion in 2014.
- New York Times: If you haven’t seen the article yet, enthusiast niche magazines are the new darlings of the publishing industry. Even larger, general-interest magazines are scratching their heads, trying to determine how to niche their audience.
What’s all this positive news mean for niche media publishers?
- As the stats and successes continue to trend up, expect more competition.
- Embrace mobile now if you haven’t already.
- Look for ways to up your game in 2014, whether it’s creating new niche events, figuring out how to niche your niche further, or taking your content to the next level.
Here’s the post if you want to read more:
About this blogger: Diana Landau is the Content Wrangler for Niche Media. A former corporate marketing hack, she has now found nirvana in writing and wrangling quality content. Diana is a food, wine, art and SF Giants enthusiast……who sometimes gets carried away.
Niche Media has created super niched-out events specifically for magazine publishers for over 12 years. We’ve helped pave the way for the era of boutique events that connect specific audiences and provide great educational, friendly and super-fun environments! Plus, Carl Landau – Niche Media’s Grand Poobah – just launched a blog all about creating and marketing targeted events, blog.NicheEventNation.com and Niche EventFest in New Orleans this fall. Check it out!
Image from freedigitalphotos.net