As you hurriedly finish up the frantic, last-minute bonanza that is all that holiday shopping, here’s an interesting FYI about what influences shoppers.
Niche publisher Peggy Malecki of Natural Awakenings in Chicago recently shared with us an interesting study and handy infographic on buyers’ shopping habits shared from Shopzilla. 6,900 shoppers were polled about their buying habits and what influences them to purchase.
The GREAT news is 28% of all shoppers are influenced by—you guessed it—magazines.
Here are some interesting study stats:
* Social shopping really only exists with Gen Y: Far more influenced by their friends (and inclined to shop with them), than other generations.
* Men loved to shop with their wives: Women, not so much. (34% vs. 14%)
* Those with the HHI of 150K+ are most influenced by magazines (36% vs. 28% of general n); Gen Y population most influenced by Blogs (12% vs. 5% of general population).
* When it comes to shopping, social primarily influences Women and Gen Y, though falls far behind other sources. (Pinterest & Facebook peak at about 20% with Gen Y.)
* Men much more likely to look for pre-purchase approval (29% vs. 19% of women).
* Baby Boomers most likely to cite children as a favored shopping companion; Gen Y most likely to cite “mother.” Survey says: Nobody likes to shop with their mother-in-law.
Link to study & infographic here: http://bit.ly/1jEzTIK
Of course, studies can lead to broad conclusions. Especially since we actually like our mother-in-law and think shopping with her is super-fun.
Editor’s note: There will be no post on Dec.25th-26th.
About this blogger: Diana Landau is Content Wrangler of Niche Media. A former corporate marketing hack, she has now found nirvana in writing and wrangling quality content. Diana is a food, wine, art and SF Giants enthusiast who sometimes gets carried away.
Niche Media has created super niched-out events specifically for magazine publishers for over 12 years. We’ve helped pave the way for the era of boutique events that connect specific audiences and provide great educational, friendly and super-fun environments! Plus, Carl Landau – Niche Media’s Grand Poobah – just launched a blog all about creating and marketing targeted events – blog.NicheEventNation.com Check it out!
Image from freedigitalphotos.net