Quote of the day from Paul Jarvis:
“Amateurs get frustrated with clients. Professionals educate them.”
The best way for ad salespeople to set and manage the expectations of their prospects and existing clients is to consistently educate them. Here are 5 ways to educate your advertisers and keep them coming back for more:
- Be helpful. Whether they are an existing advertiser or not, be sure to consistently keep in touch with all of your contacts by passing along the latest industry/niche news and stats. They will appreciate your effort.
- Teach them how to interpret your data. Don’t just hand them a sheet with your latest numbers. Walk your clients through it, help them see the connections and trends that will benefit them.
- Advise them on the best metrics to use. Some clients still just want to focus on CTR’s for example. With the availability of advanced analytics, talk to your advertisers about how to best measure their ad sales program. Agree on what “success” looks like.
- Share testimonials. Good reviews from your existing clients can boost credibility. Make sure the ones you share are current and authentic.
- Talk about something new with your product. Need some fresh ideas? Here’s some areas where you can seize the opportunity to educate your advertisers about recent innovations in your advertising programs, such as:
- Monthly eMarketing Update
- Quarterly Lunch & Learn
- Conference Calls
- Sponsored Videos
- Direct Mail
- Non-profit partnerships
- Premium programs coming up
The ad sales pros know you can build trust for long term by sharing fresh ideas, valuable information and industry knowledge.
About this blogger: Diana Landau is the Content Wrangler for Niche Media. A former sales director and corporate marketing hack, she has now found nirvana in writing and wrangling quality content. Diana is a food, wine, art and SF Giants enthusiast…who sometimes gets carried away.
Niche Media has created super niched-out events specifically for magazine publishers for over 12 years. We’ve helped pave the way for the era of boutique events that connect specific audiences and provide great educational, friendly and super-fun environments! Plus, Carl Landau–Niche Media’s Grand Poobah–also created a blog all about creating and marketing targeted events: blog.NicheEventNation.com Check it out!
Image from freedigitalphotos.net