Hi Niche Heads,
Can we start having fun again in publishing? I’ve never stopped. And it works!!!
It started in the with ‘80s with the “Buy an Ad, Get a Cat” promotion I created. That same year my nerdy computer magazine, Computer Language, featured an April issue with a Macintosh computer getting hit in the “face” with a pie. Yes, they used to call them Macintoshes, and yes, this is what they used to look like.
The entire April issue was an April Fools joke – every article and most of the ads (yes, we got the advertisers to go along with our shenanigans). The issue completely sold out on the newsstand in just one week.
And now, we’re getting a lot of press coverage from our Niche Yearbook. The center spread is the Niche staffers in various stages of youth before they even dreamed of the stardom awaiting them at Niche HQ. (Click the image for a larger version.)
Humor works! In every industry. My theory: the more boring the magazine title, the better the opportunity for “funny bone success.” Stop taking yourself so seriously and get your readers and
advertisers laughing. You will laugh all the way to the bank.
Grand Poobah, Niche Media
Other articles in Niched Out – January 2012:
• Ad Sales Mania: Boost Ad Sales with a Unique Value Statement
• Custom Content Oz: Open New Revenue Steams with Custom Publishing
• Success Story of the Month: Texterity’s Help with Rich Media and Mobile Paves Peloton’s Road to Success
• Niche Notes
• Niched Out Magazine of the Month: Manure Manager
• Email Marketing Tip of the Month