Kimberly Whitler of Forbes recently consulted with top CMOs, authors, CEOs, and a Dean to ask them to provide their top marketing tips for 2014. The experts’ answers ranged from career to management to marketing advice. With the fast-paced evolution of marketing, media channels and mobile devices today, niche magazine publishers large and small are focusing even more on where best to focus their “marketing” energies.
Here’s a snapshot of the top tips from the marketing experts:
1) Is your head in the cloud(s)? Marketers need to think cloud first—as in all the channels, systems, media and networks. Look at them in a holistic way first before focusing on just one area.
2) Take Action: Don’t force a marketing campaign to completion if it’s not working. Make some changes!
3) Keep up: You have to get out of the office and learn new things. And network. So sign up for conferences, webinars and other educational opportunities. Learn from your peers.
4) Seize the opportunity: All marketers need to use Google Analytics. Take full advantage of this valuable tool so you can become more knowledgeable about your niche and your readers.
5) Grow upward: Believe it or not, you don’t have to sacrifice profit for growth. Figure out a way to do both at the same time.
The bonus tip below could have been written by Joe Pulizzi, the godfather of content marketing and recent author of Epic Content Marketing. Joe understood the power of content back when everyone else was still focused on whether social media was even a viable marketing channel.
Bonus tip from the experts: Drive revenue from (great) content: The power of superior content lies in the rich data you get from your readers. Plain and simple. Ensure you have the right systems in place to capture that data and the right “Insight Directors” in place to leverage the data and create deeper connections to your readers.
Here’s Whitler’s post if you want to read more: 5 Tips for Marketers in 2014
Want to learn from expert speakers and even your peers in 2014? Check out the Niche Media Conference in Charleston in February. Niche Media Conference 2014
About this blogger: Diana Landau is Content Wrangler of Niche Media. A former corporate marketing hack, she has now found nirvana in writing and wrangling quality content. Diana is a food, wine, art and SF Giants enthusiast who sometimes gets carried away.
Niche Media has created super niched-out events specifically for magazine publishers for over 12 years. We’ve helped pave the way for the era of boutique events that connect specific audiences and provide great educational, friendly and super-fun environments! Plus, Carl Landau – Niche Media’s Grand Poobah – just launched a blog all about creating and marketing targeted events – blog.NicheEventNation.com Check it out!
Image from freedigitalphotos.net